The State Bank of North Carolina is Raleigh's oldest surviving financial building housed the first state-sponsored banking institution in North Carolina. Architecturally, the building represents the transition between Federal and Greek Revival styles and features handmade brick as well as granite window sills and lintels. Most notable are the matching two-story porticos supported by columns of stuccoed brick on the building's east and west elevations.
The State Bank of North Carolina was incorporated in 1810. During the War of 1812, the Raleigh branch's central location made it one of the safest, so a more substantial building was erected. Upon completion, Jacob Johnson, father of Andrew Johnson, served as the bank's porter. In 1832 the building was taken over by the Bank of State of North Carolina, which used it until it going bankrupt during the Civil War. In early 1873, the US District Court ruled that the property be turned over to Christ Church for a purchase price of $9,925. From 1873 until 1968 the building was used by the church as a rectory and for other functions. Today owned by the State Employees Credit Union, the building is open during the credit union's operating hours.
|123 New Bern Avenue|
|Raleigh Historic Landmark|