The Southeast Rural Community Assistance Project, Inc. (SERCAP) helps small rural towns and communities needing aid in upgrading their water and wastewater systems. They also provide training and technical assistance to rural residents for operation and maintenance of those systems, for capacity building and for economic development in their communities.
|Type of Organization||Non-Profit|
|Primary Contact||President & CEO Hope Cupit|
Mission: The mission of SERCAP is to improve the the quality of life for low-income individuals by promoting affordable water and waste water facilities, community development, environmental health, and economic self sufficiency.
Issues of Focus:
- Affordable water and waste water facilities
- community development
- Economic self sufficiency
- Environmental health
- Community Services Block Grant: Provides program and operating costs for training and technical assistance to low-income, rural residents and local governments.
- Rural Community Facilities Development Program: Provides program and operating costs for training and technical assistance in developing adequate water/wastewater facilities.
- Facilities Development: Provides program and operating costs for training and technical assistance in accessing water/wastewater facilities. SERCAP offers seed grants and loans for upgrades, new construction of water/wastewater projects, and for community economic development projects.
- Technical Assistance and Training Grant Program: Helps communities understand and utilize the Rural Development funding process.
- Energy Audits: SERCAP's trained staff can evaluate facilities and make recommendation to improve energy efficiency and sustainability.
- Safe Drinking Water Assistance Project: Ensures the compliance of small, rural water/wastewater facilities with the Safe Drinking Water Act and the Clean Water Act.
- Environmental Protection Agency Wastewater Project: Educates communities on groundwater protection and municipal solid waste management.
- Office of Community Service Program: Aids communities in developing the capability and expertise to establish and maintain affordable water and wastewater treatment facilities.
- Indoor Plumbing and Rehabilitation Program: Provides water and wastewater needs, indoor plumbing facilities and rehabilitation of substandard, unsafe housing for low-income, rural homeowners.
- Aging in Place Program: Allows seniors to stay in their homes as the grow older. Our trained staff will evaluate private residences for feasibility cost estimates and construction to ADA requirements.
Housing Counseling: SERCAP's Housing Counseling program provides individuals looking to purchase a home the tools they need to be successful. Available counseling services include:
- Pre-Purchase Counseling
- Post-Purchase Counseling
- Rental Counseling
- Financial Literacy
- Credit Counseling
- Home Maintenance Education
- First Time Homebuyer Education
- SERCAP Loan Fund: Offers low-interest loans to low-income, rural communities for water/wastewater, housing and community development activities.
Needs partnerships, could not locate