photo by Ian Robinson

These are a pair of wrought iron gates which stand on Hillmorton Road in the Whitehall Recreation Ground. They were funded by the people of Rugby and unveiled to a large crowd on Sunday 12th March 1922 by Field Marshal Earl French of Ypres, assisted by Mr & Mrs Hardman, who had lost three sons in the war. Engraved on the pillars are the names of Rugby men lost in wars in the 20th century.

The gates originally provided the main entrance to Whitehall rec onto a tree-lined pathway, and were moved to their present position in 1987, when the traffics lights on the junction gave were replaced with a new roundabout and a new access road was built through to the Ken Marriott Leisure Centre.