Sacramento has a wealth of internships and fellowships available. Whether you're a student, or a life-long learner, one of these may be just the opportunity you're looking for!
Keep in mind that for-profit businesses that offer internships may only offer an unpaid internship if they meet these six criteria; if they do not meet all these criteria, the business must pay at least minimum wage:
The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment;
The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern;
The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff;
The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;
The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship; and
The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.
See more information on the US Department of Labor page on this subject.
Internships and Fellowships
- Children's Chorus-Sacramento-Camps
Crocker Art Museum-Volunteers
- Even though the Crocker is not accepting any volunteers at this time, they recruit at different times throughout the year, so keep checking.
My Big Fat Theater Reviews - Volunteer
This website offers reviews for all different theaters in the Sacramento Area. Listed on this page are internships for many theaters.
Some Theaters Listed
- B Street Theater
- California Musical Theater
- Capital Stage
- Chautauqua Playhouse
- Fairytale Town
- River Stage
- Sacramento Theatre Company
- T.H.E. Actor’s Workshop and Integral Theatre Company
- West Sacramento Community Theater
- Arts & Business Council of Sacramento
- Some Theaters Listed
- This website offers reviews for all different theaters in the Sacramento Area. Listed on this page are internships for many theaters.
- Sacramento Opera Association - Youth Education Programs
- Sacramento Opera Association - Volunteer
Sacramento County Historical Society - How You Can Help
- Some great internship/volunteer opportunities are listed on this page.
- Applications are due October 31, 2011.
- Intern applicants must currently be enrolled in college with a minimum of sophomore class standing
- Applicants must have already successfully completed journalism, communications, or television production courses.
- Candidates cannot participate in an internship at another TV news station while interning at either CBS Sacramento or Good Day Sacramento.
KCRA Student Internships
- Internships primarily in broadcasting, but not limited to marketing, promotions, and sales.
- A limited number of unpaid internships are available each semester in the News, Creative Services, Engineering/Production and Sales Departments.
Business and Finance
Arts and Business Council of Sacramento - Volunteer
- Volunteers can help non-profit arts organizations survive tough times by lending expertise in the fields of PR, marketing, IT, fund development, accounting, business management, strategic planning and much more. BVA Volunteers give back, build their resumes and work in a creative environment by consulting on short term probono projects.
California State Controller's Office (SCO): Job Opportunities at SCO
- Internships are listed on this page.
Macias Gini & O'Connell LLP Student Internships
- Macias Gini & O'Connell LLP is an accounting firm.
Moss Adams-Campus Recruiting and Careers/Internships
- Moss Adams is an accounting firm
Reznick Group - Careers - University Students
- Reznick Group actively recruits at the Sacramento State Campus. You can still send them a resume, even if they do not recruit at your school.
- Accenture is a global management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company, with approximately 236,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries. They have internships available for students in the summer and they have an office in Sacramento.
Capitol (State Capitol)
See Political and Policy
Community and Nonprofit
- Aerojet Opportunities for Students
Department of Water Resources Job Vacancies
- Student Assistant Internships available.
- Ayres Associates Summer Opportunities
Hatch Mott MacDonald Internships
- Internships could be available in the Sacramento region in November 2011 for 2012
Health and Medicine
Sacramento County Department of Health and Human Services Internships
- Internships are all unpaid and range in kind from social work to pharmacy. Note-Availability does change throughout the year. Some other volunteer positions are listed.
Kaiser Permanente Sacramento
- Volunteer Services are available in the Sacramento Medical Center
- Sutter Volunteer Program with Sacramento State
Mercy General Hospital Volunteer Services
- Volunteer placement is based upon availability in the department or program, your hours of availability and whether you meet the minimum requirements and qualifications for a given volunteer opportunity. It typically takes four months from the time you turn in your application to your first day of volunteering.
Mercy San Juan Medical Center Volunteer Services
- Mercy San Juan is not accepting applications for new adult or junior volunteers until January 2012, but there are other current positions available.
- Methodist Hospital of Sacramento Volunteer Services
- Shriner's Hospital - Northern California - Volunteer
Political and Policy
- Capital Fellows Programs (paid)
- Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom's office. Contact [email protected]
Sacramento Area Council of Governments (SACOG) (unpaid internship): Contact Rebecca Thornton Sloan, [email protected], (916) 340-6224
- The Sacramento Area Council of Governments (SACOG) is offering a volunteer position for those who have an interest in SACOG’s work specifically as it relates to sustainable communities, the MTP2035 and Blueprint principles, civic engagement, and/or community outreach.
Department of Conservation: contact Marni Weber, (916) 445-8733.
- Interns can work in their legislative office (primarily doing research and bill analysis) and in their Division of Oil, Gas, and Geothermal Resources (DOGGR). DOGGR deals with legal issues related to the industry as well as CEQA issues. The other issues this department covers are Mining, Land Resource Protection, and the CA Geological Survey.
- Chicano Latino Youth Leadership Program (paid and unpaid internships and fellowships)
- Victory Congressional Internship
- CHCI Congressional Internship
- CSU Sacramento Government Department internships
Sacramento County District Attorney Internship
- Summer Law Student Internship Program (2nd/3rd year students)-Applications due October 31st, 2011
The Council on American Islamic Relations-Sacramento Valley (CAIR-SV) is looking for new Fall Interns! If you're interested in applying for a position as an intern to work in a fast-paced environment, serve your community, and learn how a national non-profit organization works, please send your resume to Programs Coordinator Saeeda Islam at [email protected].
- CAIR-SV is also looking for a Communications Intern to help produce our electronic newsletter, upload articles and photos to our website, assist in drafting press releases, assist in planning and executing long-term projects, responding to negative media coverage by writing letters to the editor, op-eds, etc. Ideal candidates have strong writing/editing skills and familiarity with journalistic style. If you are interested, please contact Mohamed Ali at [email protected].
California Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
- Internships available for "law students" and "other students" in Sacramento.
Sacramento State Government Department Internships
- There are three different internship programs available.
Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) - Volunteer Program
- CASA volunteers are Court Appointed Special Advocates for children – trained community volunteers appointed by a judge as Officers of the court to speak up for children in juvenile court, and to help to humanize the often frightening and confusing child welfare and legal systems for these children.
- Chicano Latino Youth Leadership Program (paid and unpaid internships and fellowships)
- NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory
UC Davis Center for Biophotonics Science and Technology (CBST) Internship
- Internship is year round in the summer. Students range in background from accredited two year colleges to four year colleges.
CBST Winter Research Internship Program for Community College Students
- Applications are due November 4th, 2011. Internship is 2 weeks and lasts from January 3rd-13th, 2012.
- Sacramento City College Cooperative Work Experience Education and Internship Program (paid and unpaid) for Sacramento City College students: Contact Coordinator Wendy Slobodnik, 916-558-2383, [email protected]
University Enterprises Inc.
- Provides part time/student and benefited job opportunities throughout California with a special emphasis in the Sacramento region. University Enterprises is also the employer of record for many state agency student internship positions. One does not have to be a Sacramento State student in order to apply for jobs and internships.
CalTrans Student Assistant Program
- Student Assistants are assigned work in various areas such as Project Development, Construction, Planning, Programming, Right of Way, Maintenance, New Technology and Research, Human Resources, Accounting, Equipment Services, and Legal.
City of Sacramento Volunteer Program
- Many internships available in different areas.
- 2011 Research Internships in Sacramento
Sacramento Police Department Student Internship Program
The Sacramento Police Department is currently accepting applications for college students who are interested in gaining valuable experience through unpaid internships related to the following areas:
- Police Supply
- Police Academy
- Police Administration
- Information Technology
- The Sacramento Police Department is currently accepting applications for college students who are interested in gaining valuable experience through unpaid internships related to the following areas:
- California Air Resources Board Student Opportunities
- State of California Employment Development Department (EDD) Student Assistant/Graduate Assistant Opportunities
- Therapeutic Recreation Services Internship
Sacramento County Probation Student Intern Program
- The student intern program provides early career training and education for career-minded students seeking employment in the field of Probation.
- Disability Compliance Office Internship Opportunity
- City of Sacramento Center for Sacramento History - Volunteers and Interns
Sacramento County Sheriff's Search and Rescue- How You Can Help
- Volunteer opportunities available.
- California Department of Parks and Recreation - Student Assistants
Volunteer and Intern Opportunities
American Red Cross: Sacramento
- The site provides information on how to get called in the community. Call the Sacramento office for opportunities to volunteer as well.
- Sacramento Food Bank
- Disabled American Veterans - Voluntary Services
- Arcade Creek Recreation and Park District Volunteer Opportunities
- Sacramento Loaves and Fishes - To Volunteer
- Sacramento Tree Foundation - Volunteer
Retirement Housing Foundation
- There are many opportunities to volunteer here.
- The Sacramento Zoo - Volunteer
- Eskaton Foundation - Volunteers
- Goodwill Sacramento Valley - Volunteer
The Sacramento Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) - Volunteer
- The Sacramento SPCA is looking for volunteers, age 18 or older, who are serious about our organization and are willing to make a time commitment of an average of eight hours a month for a minimum period of twelve months. Please be realistic in determining the number of hours you can give each month.
Volunteers of America Opportunities
- Current available positions in various areas posted.
Sacramento Native American Health Center Inc. Volunteers
- Mother’s Wisdom Breast Health Educational Program – Volunteers Needed
- Sacramento/Yolo Mutual Housing Association-Youth Programs
Sacramento Valley Conservancy - Volunteer
- SVC's mission is to preserve the beauty, character and diversity of the Sacramento Valley landscape by working with citizens, property owners, developers, public agencies and other nonprofit organizations
Breathe California of Sacramento Emigrant Trails - Volunteers
- Breathe California of Sacramento-Emigrant Trails is a non-profit 501(c)(3) voluntary health agency dedicated to helping children with asthma, reducing tobacco use and improving air quality in our region.
- Sacramento Area Emergency Housing Center - Volunteer
- Boys and Girls Club of Sacramento - Volunteering
Cottage Housing Inc. - Volunteer
- Cottage Housing Incorporated develops healing communities that are solution-focused, participant-driven and strength-based, where homeless people help themselves - and each other - through their transition from the streets to self-sustainability.
- California Department of Parks and Recreation - Volunteers in Parks
Sacramento Area Animal Coalition - Volunteer
Spay Day Volunteers
- Every February, the Sacramento Area Animal Coalition undertakes Spay Day Sacramento — the largest one-day spay/neuter event in the country. More than 400 volunteer veterinarians, vet techs, vet students, shelter staff and animal advocates are needed to achieve our goal of spaying and neutering approximately 1,000 pets of low-income families. Planning for Spay Day begins in September. Read more about Spay Day volunteer opportunities.
- Spay Day Volunteers
- Environmental Council of Sacramento - Volunteer
- Children's Receiving Home of Sacramento - Volunteer
Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates - Volunteer
- In addition to their own available postings, SABA would like to hear any skills potential volunteers may have!
Friends of the Sacramento Public Library
- The Friends of the Sacramento Public Library, including Branch Friends, is a volunteer, community-based organization. Its dual mission is to advocate for the Library and to provide funding for books and materials, programs and Library activities, primarily through selling discarded and donated books and materials.
Advice for interns and applicants
Here are a couple of pointers.
The quality of your resume, application and interview is important. But quantity is important as well. The more places you reach out to, the more the odds that you may find an internship. In addition, your internship seeking skills will improve as your networking starts to increase.
Do not hesitate to call businesses if you are interested in an internship! People really like individuals who actively express their interest.
Even if an internship is not listed on the home page of a business, you should still call. You never know what opportunities are in store. In addition the worst possible feedback you may receive is “we are currently not interested in any interns at this time.”
Always be polite and patient. Today it is harder than ever even to become a volunteer at places. Possessing a positive attitude and enthusiasm may help steer employers in your direction.
Effectively communicate what you want in an internship. Often times, even if you may receive an internship, you may end up receiving work you may not like. Share what you would like to do with a business, so both parties can benefit.
Create a list so that you can track your progress in your internship hunt.
What if you can't find an internship here that I'm interested in? There are other methods to finding internships in the Sacramento region. Here are some tips.
Use Google maps to find businesses in your field and in Sacramento.
Speak with instructors and counselors who may know of different contacts
There might be career/internship fairs at your school and other schools where a lot of recruitment occurs. Make sure you take advantage.
Talk with family and friends as they are one of the best ways to build a network.