A reason people frequently give for not editing the wiki is that they believe they don't know enough to contribute.
This, my friend, is just plain false.
It doesn't matter how long you've been here, how long you're staying, what you're doing here— you have something meaningful to contribute. It may just be an issue of realizing how much you know, and putting that knowledge into words. So here are some ideas to get your ideas flowing:
- Where do you stay when you're in Santa Cruz? An apartment complex? A hotel? UCSC Housing? What major streets do you live on or near?
- How do you get around in town? Driving? Cycling? Walking? Bus? What tips or tricks have you learned about getting from one place to another? What streets do you avoid or always take? Why do you go one way and not another?
- What do you like to eat? What are your favorite restaurants or grocery stores? Add comments about your favorite (or least favorite) establishments.
- Where do you like to go shopping at? Is there a business or service you recommend? Help others find a good deal in town.
- Have you taken any fun photos around town? There are lots of pages that need photos. (You don't need to be a professional photographer - almost any photo is better than no photo!)
- Possibly the easiest of all is to write about yourself. Add yourself to the People page, make an entry about yourself, and make yourself into a true Wikizen.
Your entries don't need to be perfect. If you don't know formatting yet, don't worry- it's easy to learn, and you'll probably pick it up in time after staring at enough source code. And if you don't get it right, there are other people editing the wiki who can pick up where you left off.