|115 Cooper Street, Santa Cruz, CA, 95060|
|(Corner of Front Street and Cooper Street)|
|Edward W. Newman|
The Leonard Building is a mixed use retail/office complex downtown. It was built in 1894 to replace the previous Leonard Building which was destroyed in the fire of 1894. The replacement building is identical to the original. There are different accounts of the establishment of the Leonard Building. One account has the building financed by the goldmine of James Leonard of Aptos.1 Another account names Mike Leonard as the owner of the original Leonard Building as well as the replacement.2
The original structure had a bar, and upstairs rooms were rented. Leonard's Saloon operated in the building before the 1894 fire.3
|This entry is a seed - a starting point for writing a full entry. You can help the Santa Cruz Wiki by expanding it! Simply click on the "Edit" button.|
- 1The Spirit of Aptos: 116-Year-Old Hotel to Become Landmark, by Ross Eric Gibson, retrieved on July 30, 2011.
- 2The Leonard Building, by Bruce Bratton, Metro Santa Cruz, November 17, 1999, retrieved on July 30, 2011.
- 3The Leonard Building, Part Three, by Bruce Bratton, Metro Santa Cruz, September 22, 1999, retrieved on July 30, 2011.