|1550 Pacific Avenue, Santa Cruz, Ca, 95060|
|(Names of owners/proprietors here)|
|1859-60 The original Flatiron Building is built|
|1997 The New Flatiron Building is built|
The Flatiron Building is a four story building downtown that features retail space on the first floor and office space on the upper floors. It is known for its unusual architecture and is also considered one of the landmark 'gateways' to the downtown.
The new Flatiron Building was built by Slatter Construction and it replaced the original Flatiron Building which was built in 1859-60 for Hugo Hihn and was later destroyed in the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake.
An interesting story about the old Flatiron Building was told by youngsters who would show tourists where, "the bullet fired at the bandit Tiburcio Vásquez made a hole in the Flatiron Building."1
Shortly after the building was finished in 1860, the County Offices were located in the second story of the Flatiron Building until 1867.2
|This entry is a seed - a starting point for writing a full entry. You can help the Santa Cruz Wiki by expanding it! Simply click on the "Edit" button.|
- 1The Flatiron Building, Pacific Avenue and Front Street, by Margaret Koch, Santa Cruz Public Library, retrieved on June 21, 2011.
- 2Santa Cruz County: Parade of the Past, by Margaret Koch, Valley Publishers, Fresno, CA, 1973, page 20.