Old Adobe Mission - Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church
Located in the heart of historic Old Town Scottsdale, this church attracts people from all over the world who want to learn more about the early days of the area and to view our beautifully restored Mission, the oldest standing church in Scottsdale. The Old Adobe Mission is a historical phenomenon that must be witnessed during your travels. Old Adobe Mission attracts the most devout, the most intrigued, and those that are looking for that rare place they will never forget.
</div> <div> </div>
The Old Adobe Mission was originally Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church and was built in Scottsdale during the late 1910s. Robert T. Evans designed it to be a Spanish Colonial Revival architectural style. He got his inspiration from styles he saw in Sonora and New Mexico.
Over 14,000 adobe bricks made from a blend of native clay, silt, sand, straw, dung, and water were used for the construction. These weighed 50 pounds and were all placed and carried by hand. Grandvell Shumaker was the architecture behind the blueprints. Bernabe Herrera hand made the 15 stained glass panes using old glass from the St. Augustines Cathedral in Tucson. Its beauty and simplicity of design, and the quiet majesty of the structure continues to call people to contemplation and serenity – truly, a still point in a turning world.
Completion of the Church
Women from the community gathered for fundraising and advertising to encourage the workers. The church was completed in the fall of 1933 thanks to Dona Dolores Rivera de Ochoa, who was the treasurer. Doña Dolores Rivera de Ochoa, the treasurer of the Catholic Society, collected donations to help build the church.In 1949, it turned into a parish and served until 1956 when the parish outgrew the size of the building. The women from the community also assisted by organizing the advertising and fundraising and providing on-site workers with food, water, and most of all, encouragement. Today, it is with a similar passion that the community comes together again to preserve the Old Adobe Mission as an important piece of Scottsdale's architectural and spiritual history.
In 2000, the City of Scottsdale’s historic prevention reached out to Our Lady of Perpetual Help regarding the Mission. The head pastor of OLPH said he wanted to preserve the church. So in 2001, it was placed on the register of historic buildings. Restoration efforts then began in 2002 by a grant from Arizona's state Parks historic preservation heritage fun.
Raising Money For More Renovations
The year 2013, was an influential year for the mission. The church celebrated their 80th anniversary. In 2014, the restorations were only 75% complete, so they kicked off a capital campaign to raise money in order to complete the remaining renovations. The photos below show the rigorous work that went in to remodeling the church. In 2017 SDDLM founder Robert Ramirez, Dr. Everardo Stanton and Master-Woodcrafter Gabriel Mckeagney combined their efforts to create and gift a custom newly commissioned sign for the Adobe Mission in celebration of the founding of Scottsdale’s Dia de Los Muertos Festival.
A Place of Tranquility
Today the Mission serves a true historical monument regarding faith. The majestic beauty is indescribable and is better felt in the presence of the building. Its a great place for anyone seeking a peaceful place for meditation, contemplation, and praying. Believing in the True Presence of Jesus, the Old Adobe Mission praises and glorifies God with others through Word and Song by participating in Mass (to gather, to listen, to share and to send forth). Mass is the Source and Summit of our Catholic Faith and it nurtures and strengthens our personal relationship with God. Whether personal expression (Eucharistic Adoration, Prayer) or public expression (Mass, Ritual, Sacraments) these encounters with the Living Christ are our priority as a love response to God who loves us deeply. Bringing glory to God in all that the churches does, this church serves others as Disciples of Christ each and every day. Turning love into action, the Old Adobe Mission recognizes and comes to know Jesus by sharing our gifts and reaching out to others who do not belong and are vulnerable.
Have you ever wanted to visit Old Adobe Mission, the photos show this beautiful historic site. Old Adobe Mission is on the Historic Register in both the city of Scottsdale but for the state of Arizona. The mission is also a member of the Experience Scottsdale visitor's bureau. It was the original Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church and with its beautiful restoration now it is again used for religious services. Lastly, this is in addition to being the most significant historic place in Scottsdale.
The provided link gives a tour of the church and shows the true beauty that the church.
Old Adobe Mission
3817 N Brown Ave,
Scottsdale, Arizona 85251
Old Adobe Mission Church
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church
7655 E Main Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Open To The Public
October 1 to May 20
10:00 am - 5:00 pm daily
May 21 to September 30
The Mission is available for private tours for groups of 2 to 20. A donation of $5.00 per person is requested. Please call 480-980-3628 to schedule your private tour.