|http://www.amtrak.com has schedules, routes, fares and more|
Amtrak is a nationwide rail system. Though it doesn't have tracks within the city, it runs shuttle buses (called thruway buses) connecting to several busy areas:
- Caltrain station (700 Fourth Street, at Townsend Street)
- Moscone Center (747 Howard Street, between Third and Fourth streets)
- Union Square (Powell BART station, on Market Street between Fourth and Fifth streets)
- Financial District (5 Embarcadero Center, between Sacramento and California streets)
- Ferry Building (101 The Embarcadero, between Mission and Howard streets - look for the Amtrak bus stop sign)
- Fisherman's Wharf (Beach Street and The Embarcadero)
A common Amtrak route is to put you on a thruway bus to/from those stops to the Emeryville Amtrak train station. Depending on your destination and the train line you'll be taking, you may get a bus route to another Amtrak train station, such as Oakland's Jack London Square station.
BART connects with Amtrak in Richmond.