City Hall has colored LED lighting outside! The city changes the colors of the lighting to coincide with special events in the city or around the world.
The LED lighting was a project of Martha Cohen, the mayor's director of Special Events. (I think the lighting started in 2009 or so?)
Times the lights have been crazy colors, and why
- 2009-12-24'ish - 2009-12-30'ish - red & green - Christmas
- 2010-12-24'ish - 2010-12-30'ish - red & green - Christmas
- 2011-12-24'ish - 2011-12-30'ish - red & green - Christmas
- 2012-1-19 - red & gold - support the 49ers
- 2012-12-24'ish - 2012-12-30'ish - red & green - Christmas
- 2013-1-24 - yellow & red - San Francisco Ballet's 80th season and annual gala.
- 2013-04-23 - Blue & yellow - Attempt to woo the Golden State Warriors to come to San Francisco.
- 2013-7-26 - rainbow colors - US Supreme Court dismissal of Prop 8.
- 2013-12-24'ish - 2013-12-30'ish - red & green - Christmas
- 2014-12-1 - Crimson red - World AIDS day
- 2014-12-7 - Crimson red - National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day?
- 2015-4-25 - Red, blue and orange - 100th anniversary of the Armenian genocide
- 2015-10-2 - Green - Celebrating Kiva.org's San Francisco launch #lendlocal
^^ Please help update this list! Just click "Edit"