On the ocean-facing side of Golden Gate Park are two large windmills. Designed in 1902 to pump water for the park, they operated for several decades before the parks department switched to electric pumps. The Dutch Windmill was built in 1903, restored in 1981, and placed on the San Francisco Designated Landmark list on December 6, 1981. And is currently part of the Queen Wilhelmina Tulip Garden. Murphy's Windmill was built in 1908 and is currently awaiting restoration.