San Luis Obispo's historical red light district, "The Row," was located near downtown and included attractions like the California Saloon, the Klondike, and the Palace. It was established on property owned by Nancy Emeline Call, widow of Silas Call, who had originally purchased the property. After she took ownership in 1880, she established a number of "female boarding houses" -- a polite term for what were in fact notorious houses of prostitution. This center of the sex trade continued until about 1900.