Kenwood sprang up halfway between Sonoma and Santa Rosa with the arrival of the railroad. In 1887, the ["Sonoma Land & Improvement Company"} which owned the property, laid out lots. First called Rohrerville for one of the owners of the land company, the name was next changed to Los Guilicos, the title of the Mexican land grant for the area. In 1895, the residents voted on Kenwood as the permanent name.