Just east of Schellville in the sloughs along Sonoma Creek is Sonoma Valley's ghost town of Wingo, CA . Originally known as Norfolk by the men and women who navigated the waterways, it is now known by the name used by the Sonoma Valley Railroad. Wingo once was a bustling train station for visitors arriving by steam boat from San Francisco, though now is just a cluster of cabins, workshops, barns and a train trestle.
Wingo is now part of the San Pablo Bay National Wildlife Refuge. The ghost town has been in the same family since the 1950's and the owner has a cabin there.
Wingo can only be reached by foot as automobiles are prohibited.
- Starting at the Sonoma Plaza, head south on Broadway.
- At the T-intersection cross Highway 121/Freemont Drive/Carneros Highway to Millerick Road.
- Follow the country road through the sloughs to the gate and bird sanctuary sign.
- Park and continue on foot a half-mile to the train trestle to Wingo.