In 1837, the Old State Capitol Building was built, and from 1840 to 1876 served as the state house. During those years, the building was the center of political life, Lincoln actually spent some time in the Old State Capitol as a lawyer and as a politician, delivering his famous 'House Divided' speech in Representatives Hall. The governor's room was also used as a headquarters during Lincoln's presidential campaign. The building was also where Lincoln was laid in state on May 3-4, 1865.
The Old State Capitol is a reconstruction of Illinois' fifth statehouse, the building was constructed in Greek- Revival Style. The building is located in the center of a large landscaped yard that is surrounded by a fence that is a replica of the original fence in the 1850s. The first floor of the building is made up of a central hall, government offices, two libraries, and the supreme courtroom.
In 1961, the Old State Capitol was designated a National Historic Landmark and in the year 1960, the building began to be reconstructed.
In 1966, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places
The New State Capitol Building was also built after the Old Stae Capitol no longer had enough space to sustain all of the files and storage. But the Old State Capitol Building can still be visited from 9 am to 5 pm, and a lot of events are hosted at the Old State Capitol Building.