What do you know about Farming?
Planting season starts after the last new moon in June. Planting must be done while the moon is waxing.
BITING INSECT REPELLENTS:
- Oregano (?)
Most pests dont like lavendar, but nectar seeking insects (BEEEESSS) like it.
marigold and calendula discourage nematodes, marigolds also deter mosquitos!!!
dill increases germination, keeps beets, cukes, and cabbage healthy. Good trap crop for green tomato hornworms
parsley between rows good for tomatoes (dont put it near lettuce
mint at end of row good for potatoes
Basil helps tomatoes and keeps away flies and mosquitos
garlic keeps away aphids, weevils, fruit tree borers, spider mites
onions keep fungi and damaging insects away in general
nasturtiums under fruit trees (why??? researched it: discourages coddling moths)
horseradish at corners of plots keep potato bugs out
oregano is a general pest repellent
peppermint keeps ants away
sage keeps out cabbage moths, carrot flies and ticks, good for tomatoes
summer savoury good for beans
thyme good for cabbage
Attract predatory insects with Angelica, Geranium, and goldenrod (true goldenrod is antihistamine, false is a notorious allergen)
Bolded are likely crop choices
Potatoes don't like tomatoes, beets, peas, celery, melon,cucumber, squash, or zucchini. Eggplant makes a good trap crop but neither will grow well
- They like Broccoli, brussel sprouts, bush beans, cabbage, parsnip, radish, spinach, horseradish, and kohlrabi
- Rutabaga (newfie turnip) likes lettuce, bush beans, cabbage, rhubarb, dill, and tomatoes. They don't dislike anything.
Onions don't like bush beans, peas, pole beans
- They get along REALLY WELL with carrots, as onions keep away carrot fly
- Secretions from carrots stimulate growth of peas, 2 rows carrots between onions and peas?
- Cabbage doesn't hate anything except onions in europe (in North America they grow well together)
Cucumber only hates potatoes
- likes lettuce, beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, bush beans, cabbage, corn, dill, garlic, radish, peas, and onion
Peas hate onions, bush beans, pole beans, garlic, and leek.
- likes lettuce, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, radish, cucumber, Spinach, Eggplant, Tomatoes, Turnip
Companion Planting Wheel - this is the tool we use for planning a garden
Type of soil?
Over winter crops?