Our library system consists of a main library located in downtown Tallahassee, as well as six branches and an excellent traveling bookmobile. Our three colleges have libraries, Florida A and M University, Florida State University, and Tallahassee Community College.
The state Library of Florida is located in the Gray Building which is also the home to the Museum of Florida History. It offers an extensive Florida section of printed materials, as well as many online resources. They have an excellent geneology section. www.dos.state.fl.us/library. 850-245-6600
Leroy Collins Leon County Public Library is located at 200 W. Park Ave. 850-606-2665 www.leoncountylibrary.org.
Branches are at:
Fort Braden 16327 Blountstown Highway 850-606-2900
East Side 1709 Pedrick Road 850-606-2750
Dr. B. L. Perry, Jr. 2817 S. Adams St. 850-606-2950
Lake Jackson 3840 - 302 N. Monroe St. 850-606-2850
Northeast 5513 Thomasville Road 850-606 2800
Woodville 800 Old Woodville Road 850-606-2995
Literacy Volunteers 850-606-2644
FAMU Coleman Memorial Library FAMU Campus 850-599-3330
Carrie Meek-James N. Eaton, St. Southeastern Regional Black Archives Research Center and Museum 850-599-3020 www.cis.famu.edu
FSU Strozier Library, FSU Campus 850-644-3405
FSU Law Library, FSU Campus 850-644-3405
TCC Library, TCC Campus 850-201-8695
Florida Geological Survey Library, Gunter Bldg. MS No. 720, 903 W. Tennessee St. 850-488-4191, www.dep.state.fl.us/geology Park behind bldg. on Antartic Way, get permit from administration and take to car. Publications for sale--many also free online--free to K-12 teachers and students and to government employees.
State Library: R. A. Gray Bldg., 500 S. Bronough St. 850-245-6600 www.dlis.dos.state.fl.us
State Archives, R.A.Gray Bldg. 500 S. Bronought St., 850-245-6700 www.dlis.dos.state.fl.us
Legislative Library, Room 701, The Capitol, 850-488-2812 www.dlis.dos.state.fl.us
Supreme Court Law Library, 500 S. Duval St. 850-488-8919 www.library.flcourts.org
The historic David S. Walker Library is now the home of Springtime Tallahassee, Inc. Located at 209 East Park Ave., it was built in 1903, and named in honor of David S. Walker who founded our first library and was Governor of Florida from 1865 - 1868. It began in 1903 as a subscription library and declined in 1955 when the Leon County Library opened. The final closing of the doors was in 1976. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Springtime Tallahassee acquired the building in 1977 and they have restored the building to its original state of "splendor". The library is open to the public as a reading and research library. Furniture from the period was purchased, and interior modifications were undertatken. The long pine library table along with the Mission oak arm chairs are original to the library. About 5,000 books are located both downstairs and in the balcony in the original oak bookcases. Visits to the library can be planned by contacting Sprintime Tallahassee.
If you join a book club, or create one of your own with friends, be aware that the library's traveling book club will let you check out a bag that includes 10 books of the same title, along with materials that will help get the discussion started. It's an easy and free way to get copies for everyone. Detailed information and the list of titles currently available in the Traveling Book Club kits can be found online at the library website.