California City was a fishing village in Paradise Cove. Shrimp and cod were dried on a flat area, that later became a concrete slab to hold Navy gear.
In 1886 ship crematory operations were moved here from Belvedere Island for safety reasons. It's estimated 12 or more ships met their end here including the China whose social saloon, China Cabin, is now a historical landmark on Beach Road.
In 1904, the Navy made California City its northwest coaling station and it operated until 1927.
The location was then loaned to the state as a training station for the California Maritime School. The navy took back the land in 1940 and became the Net Depot.
Shark Point and High Point (a History of the Tiburon-Belvedere Area). Belvedere, Calif., 1954. Print. Find it at the library.
Bastian, Beverly W, and Barbara B. Gnoss. A Pictorial History of Belvedere, 1890-1990: A California Island Town. Belvedere-Tiburon, Calif: Landmarks Society, 1990. Print. Find it at the the library.