A natural landmark, Elephant Rock Pier juts out into Raccoon Strait from Point Tiburon via a 75-foot ramp that crosses above the water, then encircles Elephant Rock.
Probably named for its size and form viewed from water. It opened in the early 60's specifically as a fishing spot. A favorite fishing spot for the locals and one of the best in California.
On a chart of 1850, "Pulpeti de Padre" (Father's Pulpit) may refer to Elephant Rock.