A Belvedere resident in the 1890's and an important California landscape painter. A leader of the Society of Six, a group of California impressionists.
He was also the librarian for the town of Belvedere and during the Great Depression he painted a mural at the Library, which was moved after that library closed. The mural was taken to a residence in the Okland Hills and burned during the hill fires in late 1990s.
His artist studio was on 120 Main street on a cottage that is still standing.