Places to eat in the city that won't break your bank account...
- Stores like Wal-Mart, Food Basics, No Frills, Price Chopper have pop machines just at the entrance or in front of the store that sell pop from 35 to 50 cents.
- Gale’s Snack Bar at Carlaw and Eastern is the cheapest place to eat in Toronto. It has a Club Sandwich for $1.95, Corned Beef on a Kaiser – $1.60, Fish & Chips - $2.75, Pie and Ice Cream - $1.15.
- Ikea Restaurants serves breakfast for only $1 every morning until 11am. Restaurants open at 9:30am (8:30am on Saturdays). Breakfast comes with eggs, potatoes and 2 sausages.
- For 3 bucks you can dine at the Coconut Grove Roti Shop on Dundas just east of University with their small dinner or upsize to a large dinner and fork over a toonie more.
- Caribbean Roti Palace on Bathurst, south of Bloor, sells doubles for $1.50.
- If you're in Chinatown on Spadina, you can't go wrong with any of the vietnamese sandwich shops, easily spotted with the anglicized bahn-mi on the window. Sandwiches will set you back $1.50 and your belly will be full of either vegetarian, chicken, or cold cuts before you last bite.
- ["Ginger and Onion]" 7131 Kennedy Road at Steeles, (905) 479-7730. Meals are less than $10 a person.
- Pizza Pide at 949 Gerrard St E at Pape (across from Gerrard Square Mall has the cheapest slices of pizza in the city!
- Subway Sandwiches has a daily 6 inch sub for $3.29. Foot longs subs are $5 at Quiznos Sub Shop and Subway Sandwiches.
- For $2.07 you can get a Falafel at Akbar's, on Baldwin St. in Kensington Market.
- Phil’s Original BBQ (838 College St. (416) 532-8161) has a $6.95 including one pulled pork sandwich and a side (choose from potato salad, coleslaw or fries).
- Sammy’s One and Only (70 University Ave and 200 Wellington St. W.) has $4.35 including one falafel platter (recommended) served with salad and potatoes.
- Shawarma Time Halal at Queen and Spadina. This new Middle Eastern resto has sandwiches (including shawarmas, gyros and falafels) for $2.95.
- Haida Sandwich at 15 Northtown Way. Great pizza and sandwiches, perfect quality and price.