The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (U of M) is a public research university located in Minneapolis and St. Paul. It is the oldest and largest campus within the University of Minnesota system and has the sixth-largest main campus student body in the United States, with 51,853 students in 2012–2013.
The original Minneapolis campus overlooked the Saint Anthony Falls on the Mississippi River, but it was later moved about a mile downstream to its current location. The original site is now marked by a small park known as Chute Square at the intersection of University and Central Avenues. The school shut down following a financial crisis during the American Civil War, but reopened in 1867 with considerable financial help from John Sargent Pillsbury. It was upgraded from a preparatory school to a college in 1869.
The campus now has buildings on both river banks. The "East Bank", the main portion of the campus, covers 307 acres (124 ha). The "West Bank" is home to Carlson School of Management and the performing arts center.
St. Paul campus
The St. Paul campus is in the city of Falcon Heights; despite this, all campus buildings have St. Paul street addresses. The College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences, many other disciplines from social sciences to vocational education are located on this campus. This also includes the College of Continuing Education, College of Veterinary Medicine and the College of Biological Sciences. The extensive lawns, flowers, trees, wood lots and the surrounding University research farm plots creates a greener and quieter campus. It has a grassy mall of its own and can be a bit of a retreat from the more-urban Minneapolis campus. Prominent on this campus is Bailey Hall, the St. Paul campus's only residence hall. There are campus connectors running every 15 minutes on the weekdays when school is in session, allowing students easy access to both campuses.
- uCribs - search available apartments near the University of Minnesota Campus