Winters area early settlers were the Wolfskill and the Pleasant families.
Farmers found ideal locations for orchards.
The town was named after Theodore Winters.
Winters was founded on May 22, 1875. The site of forty acres was donated to the railroad company, and D. P. Edwards matched this amount.
The first buildings included:
- John Abby's residence and blacksmith shop.
- W. P. Womack's store
- Terrel and Ray's tinshop
- Dave Scroggins' boarding house