Grosse Ile features an airport (code: KONZ) at the southern end of the island, off of Groh Road. Originally commissioned as Naval Air Station Grosse Ile in 1927, it was converted for civilian use after the last remaining units relocated to Selfridge Air Base in Harrison Township in 1969. Small aircraft and United States Coast Guard helicopters originating from this airport is a common sight in the skies over eastern Downriver. The Goodyear blimp used for flyovers over Detroit Tigers games is based here as well. The former Hangar One building now serves as the Grosse Ile Township Hall.