Meijer is a large supermarket and department store chain based in Grand Rapids. Stores feature a full-service grocery department and typical department-store items under one roof-this is called a hypermarket. Most Meijer stores are open 24 hours a day, 364 days a year, closing only on Christmas Day.
In 1993, Meijer attempted to enter the membership warehouse business through the SourceClub chain, with an outpost near the Taylor store which failed after less than a year of operation.
- Store 233: 3565 Fairlane Drive in the Fairlane Green shopping center in Allen Park. Referred to as "the Allen Park Meijer", "Allen Park" or "Meijer on the hill". Opened on May 16, 2007. Served by SMART bus route 140. (313) 253-1100
- Store 208: 3710 Dix Highway at Emmons Boulevard in Lincoln Park. Referred to as "the Dix Meijer", "Lincoln Park" or "the Lincoln Park Meijer". Opened on November 9, 2004, the building was previously a Super Kmart. Served by the 830. (313) 294-1700
- Store 123: 16300 Fort Street near Pennsylvania Road and Trenton Road in Southgate. Referred to as "the Fort Street Meijer", "Southgate" or "the Southgate Meijer". Opened on August 30, 1994. Served by the 160 and the 830. (734) 284-5300
- Store 35: 14640 Pardee Road at Eureka Road in Taylor. Referred to as "the Meijer across from Southland", "the Southland Meijer", "Taylor" or "the Taylor Meijer". Opened on July 19, 1977. Served by the 125, the 160 and the 275. (734) 287-3300.
- Store 70: 22600 Allen Road at West Road in Woodhaven. Referred to as "the Allen Road Meijer", "Woodhaven" or "the Woodhaven Meijer". Opened on September 25, 1990. Not served by any SMART fixed-route buses. (734) 692-8100
- Store 278: 26100 Vreeland Road near Arsenal Road and Telegraph Road in Flat Rock. Opened on August 14, 2016.
Meijer was originally known as Meijer's. Even though the possessive was dropped in 1966, many people still use it today, similar to how most of us often add possessives to other business names. An older name was Meijer's Thrifty Acres, which was often remixed into either Shifty Takers or Shifty Fakers.