The Strawberry Valley Arch stands on the west side of La Porte Road in Strawberry Valley. A plaque on the side of it reads, "Conceived in the spirit of Community Pride: The Strawberry Valley Arch. Philip/Maggan Sciortino & Friends, 2011." Photo by queerbychoice. Strawberry Valley is an unincorporated town in Plumas National Forest, in Yuba County. It is located southwest of Eagleville and North Star and northeast of Woodleaf. Its elevation is 3,757 feet, and it receives an average of 82.1 inches of precipitation per year.

The native plant community of Strawberry Valley is yellow pine forest.

The U.S. Postal Service sometimes lists addresses in Eagleville and North Star as being in Strawberry Valley, because they are all in the 95981 zip code. However, on the Yuba-Sutter Wiki, we prefer listing the more specific locations.


During the Gold Rush, Strawberry Valley was a major trading outpost for the gold miners. Hydraulic mining was done extensively in Strawberry Valley. The History of Yuba County, California (Chapter XXXII: North East Township) by Thompson & West, 1879, described Strawberry Valley this way:

Situated in a beautiful valley on the Butte county line, forty-three miles from Marysville, Strawberry Valley is the most thriving locality in North East Township. It was named early in 1851 by Captain William Mock, the name being suggested by the large number of wild strawberry vines found around the head of the valley. During the summer of 1850, some one kept a whisky saloon under a brush shed, southeast of where Columbus House was afterwards built. Mr. T. G. H. Jones, of Nicolaus, says that he and a party went there in January, 1851. They found the remains of a man in a thicket of pines in the rear of the shed. The body had a rope around its neck, and it was evident the man had been murdered. The party Mr. Jones was with consisted of himself, Captain William Mock, Wesley Mock, David Garvin, Boon Christopher, William Christopher, Joseph Vaughn, and John R. Perkins. The party came from Missouri Bar, on North Yuba river. Mr. Jones superintended the erection of a log cabin, and later a house. The cabin stood north of the valley and was used for a residence while they were building the old Mountain Cottage, one hundred feet down the road from the Columbus House. In the winter of 1850-1 this company used the cabin for an ice-house, selling the ice in Marysville in the spring. Shortly after the building of the cottage, Dr. C.F. Colton, Mr. Wolcott, Mr. Marble, and Mr. Maxwell, from Columbus, Ohio came to the valley and erected the Columbus House. During the summer, a few miners came and commenced prospecting in the ravines, and some rich diggings were found on Deadwood creek. The places were called Kentucky Gulch, Rich Gulch, Whisky Gulch, etc. The cottage was sold, and soon came into the possession of the Columbus Company. There were three stores in the town in 1854. The population for a number of years was quite large in the vicinity, and business in the town was good. In 1854, a hall was built by Callaghan & Company, over their store, and it was used by the various societies that have been formed there.
A division of the Sons of Temperance was organized here in 1853. After an existence of one year it surrendered its charter. In 1864, the Dashaway Club was organized. The object of the society was the promotion of temperance. Its existence was but for one year. Its funds were given to the Sunday School library. Alpine Lodge, No. 226, I.O.G.T., was organized June 10, 1866. . . . The membership at one time was fifty-five, and is now twenty-eight. The lodge owns property to the value of two hundred and seventy-five dollars, has a building fund of two hundred and fifty dollars, and has bestowed over five hundred dollars in charitable objects, more than two hundred dollars of which was to the Vallejo Orphan Asylum. The lodge has under its charge a free library of one hundred and thirteen volumes. . . .
January 2, 1867, was organized the Excelsior Literary and Library Association. It objects were to maintain a library, and to oppose gambling and swearing. In June, 1867, they invested all their funds in a library. The association disbanded June 28, 1868. The library was turned over to the Alpine Lodge of Good Templars, with the understanding that it should be a free library. The Strawberry Literary Society, or "Sanhedrim," was organized in March, 1865. The society held weekly meetings, and issued a semi-monthly written paper, the first page of which was illustrated. . . . The paper was called The Clarion. . . . The paper reached its fourth volume, and was discontinued in 1875, the society failing to reorganize for the winter season.
For years occasional services have been held by ministers of the M. E. denomination, but with no regularity. The first Sunday School was held in 1860. Mr. Walbridge was Superintendent, and Miss Martha Jackman, teacher. In the fall of 1858, the first public school was kept, Miss Wyman being the teacher.
The present town of Strawberry Valley consists of one hotel, one large store, postoffice, Wells, Fargo & Co.'s express office, blacksmith shop, butcher shop, carpenter shop, Good Templars' Hall, school house, and about fifteen dwelling houses. The population is about seventy. The old Indian name for Strawberry Valley was "Pomingo," their name for a certain plant that grew there.

It is unclear what plant the Maidu people called "pomingo."


Places to Have Fun

Places to Shop

The Strawberry Valley General Store. Photo by queerbychoice. * Strawberry Valley General Store

Other Places

The Strawberry Valley Post Office. Photo by queerbychoice.

Main Roads


Strawberry Valley entry on Wikipedia "Artist Finally Completes Strawberry Valley Arch" by Ben van der Meer, Appeal-Democrat, October 30, 2011