A Prince of obscure Davis history and foggy childhood recollections
OldDavis73 can edit this page by clicking the "Edit" button above.
2011-08-04 15:36:07 Welcome to the wiki! Thanks for adding your recollections for departed businesses and history of existing businesses! They really add to the pages. You mentioned that Davis needs a old-fashioned ice cream shop... I am curious, what do you think of the Davis Creamery, now part of Sugar Daddies? Is that the sort of place you mean, or something else? I like that they make their own ice cream and have some unusual flavors along with the regular ones. —CovertProfessor
P.S. Please don't feel like you can only use the "Comment" feature — you can edit the main body of any page by clicking the "Edit" button. A lot of the stuff you're writing would really spice up the main parts of the entries!
2011-08-04 15:51:59 I love the recollections! —TomGarberson
Ditto this. Thank you for sharing! —PhilipNeustrom
2011-08-04 16:37:07 Thanks very much for adding your knowledge of local history to the wiki! I hope you are able to find out the name of that steak place that used to be in the Silver Dragon spot. I've been trying to figure that out for a long time! —ScottMeehleib
2011-08-04 16:58:48 Thank you, thank you, thank you! —Evan 'JabberWokky' Edwards
2011-08-04 17:47:47 Welcome aboard! Nice work! —PeterBoulay
2011-08-04 18:22:29 I don't remember the name of the steakhouse, but I do remember its red logo with a "T". Toppers comes to mind. Maybe that helps. Do you remember Angela's in the Anderson Plaza in the mid or late 1960's. Our family used to enjoy going there for pizza when we lived on Oeste Dr, —SueHjerpe
2011-08-05 12:37:29 Thanks everybody!
So yah, long time resident, just moved back from Sac. where I'd been for a few years. I'll try my hand at editing/adding some defunct places as well, thank you for the suggestion. FYI - "73" refers to the year of my birth. Thanks again for all the kind replies.
I'll definitely have to check out the "Davis Creamery/Sugar Daddies" place with the kids. Yolo Berry is good too, I guess I'm just nostalgic for that old "Classic Creamery" atmosphere.
Scott - yah, it was "Peking" (now Silver Dragon)... want to say it was briefly "Golden" (something) before that. Don't know what the name of the Steakhouse was, but right Sue, it did have the Red Logo with the "T". The rest of the information I got was from my parents, who moved us to Davis from the East coast in '74. I remember similar decor at "Milk Farm" in Dixon, actually... but I was young, it might have been a bit different.
Can't say I remember Angela's pizza... one thing on restaurants though: Davis restaurants seem to trend heavily in food types/nationalities in profusion over the years. In the mid 80's, seems like there were 100 (great exaggeration) Chinese Food places. These days, I come in to town and there a thousand (greater exaggeration!) Thai places. I love both kinds of food (especially Thai), but it just seems to ebb and flow so much for such a small town. I guess it's because of campus, it just still has always seemed extreme to me. —OldDavis73
- The food fads in Davis come off as pretty extreme to me as well. Besides Thai, there are so many Japanese sushi places these days as well, and now of course there is the frozen yogurt obsession. — SM
2011-08-05 13:41:17 Out of curiosity, what's the 73 from? —WesHardaker
2011-11-10 13:01:57 No problem. :) —ScottMeehleib
2012-06-19 12:58:25 Oh, you rock. Awesome. —CovertProfessor
- Thanks very much. Just couldn't keep looking at the wiki without a pic of the Davis Arch...!
- Yes, it's been sorely needed!! Do you know what the sign on the right side of the picture says? Home of... ?—CovertProfessor
- Thanks to my years staring at the mural, I do... "Home of University Farm".
- Ah, fabulous! I'm going to add that to the page, too. —cp
2012-06-19 13:11:45 That is just wonderful! Thank you so very much for that photo! —JabberWokky
- My pleasure, thank you!
2012-06-19 15:10:38 Ha! Great minds. :-) —CovertProfessor
- Ha ha, exactly. Great Ice Cream page, by the way!
- Agreed! A fun, informative page built bit by bit, by lots of editors adding what they know — as you just did! (Thanks again). —cp
2012-06-20 02:44:25 hey good call on the comment integration —StevenDaubert
- Thank you. OF course, I did it partially for selfish reasons... obsessing on the possible existence of a 90 year old ice cream shop!
2012-07-06 15:49:38 I got what you meant in an "old world style pub". I do think it satisfies some aspect of what people were looking for, even if it's not a dead on match to the specific type. —JabberWokky
- Thank you... I'm glad I'm not the only one who was trying to feel the intent of the "wish" there. Thanks again.
2012-10-27 12:19:16 hey when did the south davis mcdonalds open? —davisrox
- Wow, I want to say that was... 1983? Bob Dunning would be able to tell you exactly when. I still remember a picture of him on the front page of the Davis Enterprise eating the first Davis McDonald's "Big Mac". The controversy at the time was akin to the recent Target store coming to Davis... a lot of people at the time thought having a big time fast food place was the "wrong fit" for the town, while others were sick of having to travel several miles out of town for their fix.
2013-03-08 12:47:15 thanks for adding the jacks urban eats info. I was planning on going in when they opened and talking them up re wiki —StevenDaubert
- No worries, thanks Steven. A lot of upcoming changes to Marketplace I've got to throw on to that list!