I've been watching DavisWiki since I moved to Davis in early 2007. 6 years later, I've finally decided to start editing.
I am the local moderator for Davis Freecycle.
I'm into vintage computing, Linux and Mac OS X.
My longstanding goal has been to do something with the Lost Pets page. What a disaster.
2013-01-05 17:47:41 Welcome to the wiki. I already like the cut of your jib —StevenDaubert
2013-01-06 20:22:06 Wow. Amazing yeoman job on the Lost Pets page. You can actually see what's going on now. —CovertProfessor
- Thanks. I think now the page can stay sane with minimal ongoing effort. My hope is that with a more consistent format, information on Lost Pets will be easier to find and easier to create. Then eventually, maybe it will become the first place in Davis where folks go when they lose or find a pet. I want to explore ways to make it even easier for new wiki users to add their entry. —gcoville
2013-01-07 13:15:58 Thanks for all your work on the Lost Pets page! —MeggoWaffle
- It has been bugging me for years. It's definitely a difficult problem in that most people editing that page are new to daviswiki editing and probably distraught and in a hurry. Providing instructions for them to get going is a delicate balance between being extremely detailed about what they need to do, yet not too verbose. We'll have to see how it works out. I look forward to suggestions for more improvement. —gcoville
- I have no idea how to go about this, but it might be even easier for people if there was a sort of form to fill in, like there is for the events board. Headline, location last seen, description, contact info, and link to a picture (so they don't have to figure out how to load, resize, etc). But looking at the event board it seems like you can't edit any entries, and they disappear once passed, so there would have to be a way to keep pets on until found (despite the date attached to the entry), and be able to remove them at will. -Megan
2013-01-10 15:39:25 I want to echo what everyone else has said. Thank you so much for all your great work on that page. —TomGarberson
2013-01-10 21:12:30 most impressive. —StevenDaubert
2013-01-10 21:12:57 also DOS much? —StevenDaubert
- I never did use DOS much. Most of my vintage computing interest ends in the early '80s. I found (and still do find) the x86 and PC to be mostly uninteresting. —gcoville
Slightly before my time then. 7 inch floppy was the thing to do on my first computer that booted to ROTT, F-15E microprose simulator, or DOS (from which you could launch windows 95 if you wanted some turbo tax) ~SD
2013-01-13 13:00:39 Wiley. That amused me. —JabberWokky
- There could be no other name! —gcoville
2013-01-14 01:24:21 You're my Wiki hero these days. Good to see an active editor doing so much good stuff. Just wanted to say that. —DonShor
- Thanks. I'm still getting up-to-speed on this particular wiki-culture. In the meantime, there's plenty of straight-forward stuff to do. —gcoville
2013-01-25 13:04:57 Hi, I didn't delete the defenderfer page because it's mispelled, I deleted it because he already has a business page called good shepherd counseling or something and a user page. —LoriOrf
2013-02-24 10:03:16 Hope you don't mind... I took the liberty of cropping your awesome crop dusting photos to get rid of some of the lens crud and highlight the planes a little better! —CovertProfessor
- Thanks! They're much more dramatic now. —gcoville
2013-08-21 22:41:10 Google not only uses your log-in information to give you more relevant results, but location and other magical tracking methods as well. You might be getting the UC Davis incident since you are located in Davis. I on the other hand, even in incognito mode, get links to Amazon. —hankim
Yes, I agree with Han here. Using private browsing mode in SF the results don't appear, so it's likely just because you're in that area while performing the search. —PhilipNeustrom
Ah, I see now. My screenshot is particularly tailored to Davis internet users, and perhaps even to me. I'll take it down. —gcoville
2013-10-10 08:27:53 Ack! Someone deleted the Lost Pets page!!! —JenniferH
2015-02-05 21:58:20 Did you need help with the Burgers and Brew page? —DavidGrundler