LOCATION: Adjacent to the pedestrian crossing near the Old Mill Restaurant in Main Street.
This plaque recognises the location of Hahndorf’s first church service and was unveiled at 2.00pm on 6th September, 2015 with a small dedication service for which a number of founding families and members of the Hahndorf community were invited.
The plaque, which consists of a tile set in the footpath, was designed by Anni Luur Fox (Hahndorf Branch National Trust SA) and produced by sculptor Tania Kunze.
The location of the plaque approximately represents where the Lutheran immigrants held their first service in the open under a large gum tree in 1839 in thanksgiving for their arrival in Hahndorf. The installation of the plaque follows Hahndorf's 175th anniversary which was celebrated the previous year in 2014.