Charles F. Hummel was one of the influential architects of many of Boise’s early buildings. He was born in Germany and was formally trained in architecture, civil engineering, and drafting.
He and his wife Marie were married in 1882. They came with 2 children to Chicago in 1885 where he worked in carpentry. By 1890 they headed to Seattle, then Anacortes, then Everett doing house building and drafting. The Financial Panic of 1893 left the family in very poor circumstances. Charles and Marie found a promotional flyer about prosperity in the Boise Valley which encouraged their move to Boise in 1895. Hummel went to work with the J.E. Tourtellotte Company.
In January 1902 J.E. Tourtellotte announced in the Idaho Daily Statesman that Mr. C. F. Hummel had become a partner in the company in 1910. Hummel was the formally trained architect and Tourtellotte was an excellent promoter. The architectural firm 'Tourtellotte and Hummel' were responsible for building and designing over 900 buildings and houses until the beginning of World War II. Hummel was an integral part of the planning for the Idaho State Capitol building and many other Boise landmarks. Two of the Hummel sons joined the architectural firm as well as a grandson, also Charles F. Hummel. The name Tourellotte is no longer connected with the company, but Hummel Architects PLLC still exists.
Hummel, Charles and Woodward, Tim. Quintessential Boise: An Architectural Journey (Boise State University College of Social Sciences and Public Affairs, 2010) Williams, Royce A. “Stacking the Stone”. "Capitol of Light."
A Brief HIstory of Hummel Architects 1896-2008, Charles Hummel.
See also: John E. Tourtellotte