Welcome to the Ghent Dog Park! Come enjoy a safe, clean, beautiful, and accessible environment for people and dogs to exercise and socialize together.
|1310 Stockley Gardens, Norfolk|
1) ...provide a safe, clean, beautiful, and accessible environment for people and dogs to exercise and socialize together...
2) ...solicit, receive, invest and use funds to facilitate the health, safety, and improvement of the park for people and dogs and provide volunteer support toward those ends...
3) ...support off-leash privileges, advocate responsible dog ownership and education and will cultivate community spirit and neighborhood relationships through outreach efforts and programs.
The Ghent Dog Park Association is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Contributions to GDPA in the United States are tax-deductible to the extent provided by law.
The Ghent Dog Park (also known as Barkley Gardens) is a unique public, park in the historic Ghent neighborhood of Norfolk. Located in the 1300 block of Stockley Gardens, this 0.61 acre, fully-fenced city park functions as a "community center without the building", each week providing hundreds of people and their dogs a safe, clean, beautiful, and accessible environment to exercise and socialize together.
In 2004, a group of concerned neighbors and dog-lovers who enjoyed the park saw opportunities to address safety issues and enhance the beauty of this green space. The Ghent Dog Park Association formed as a grassroots community organization in April 2004 to develop the project and work through the appropriate channels, including the neighborhood, the Ghent Neighborhood League, and the City of Norfolk. Today, members of the GDPA serve as stewards of the park who endeavor to find new opportunities to continue refining the greenspace and expanding community ownership among all visitors to this unique urban space.
Contact Animal Control at 757.441.5505 for assistance with animal disturbances. Contact 911 in the case of an emergency.
CITY OF NORFOLK DOG PARK RULES
1) Owners are legally responsible for any bodily injury and property damage caused by their dog.
2) Owners must clean up and dispose of waste left by their dog and provide the equipment for these tasks.
3) Dog owners must remain with their dog and must keep it in sight at all times.
4) Dogs must wear valid rabies vaccination and city license tags.
No dogs in heat are allowed.
5) Puppies must be older than four months.
6) Dogs must be leashed while entering and leaving the dog park area.
7) Dogs showing aggression towards people or other dogs must be immediately leashed and removed.
8) A maximum of three dogs per owner is allowed at any one time.
(content source: Facebook Info)