19th Century Timeline
- 1836 - Borough of Norwalk founded.
- 1849 - New York and New Haven Railroad begins operation through Norwalk.
- May 6, 1853 - First major U.S. railroad bridge disaster occurs in Norwalk. The engineer did not see an open drawbridge signal. The train crashed into the open drawbridge and plunged into the Norwalk River. There were 46 deaths, and 30 others were severely wounded.
- 1871 - Old Well, the historical name of South Norwalk, was granted a charter by the state legislature as the City of South Norwalk.
- 1893 - Borough of Norwalk was reincorporated as the City of Norwalk with both cities wholly within the jurisdiction of the Town of Norwalk.