Designed in 1966 as an advertising mascot for the Doggie Diner restaurant chain, the Doggie Diner Head sits on the median at Sloat Blvd and 45th St.
The plaque on the Doggie Diner Head's base reads:
WELCOME TO OCEAN BEACH
This sign stood outside the last operating Doggie Diner restaurant (later, 'Carousel') on the N.E. corner of 46th Ave. and Sloat Blvd.
Designed in 1966 by graphic artist Harold Bachman (1921-2005) for the popular unionized Bay Area drive-in chain, the Doggie's whimsical style (shades of swing and early auto age cartoons) has delighted generations of visitors to Ocean Beach.
A massive grassroots preservation effort, chronicled nationally in the "Zippy the Pinhead" comic strip, led to its acquisition by the City of San Francisco (Dec. 2000).
Toppled by wind April 1, 2003, it was restored by the Department of Public Works, returned to its post by Independence Day, and relocated to this median in January, 2005.