Alameda currently has one theater - aptly named The Alameda Theatre, designed by noted Bay Area architect Timothy L. Pflueger. It was originally opened in 1932 with a seating capacity of 2,168, and was the last grand movie palace built in the San Francisco Bay Area. In 1979, with movie attendance dwindling, the movie theater closed, and the space was used as a roller rink, dance hall, and gymnastics studio.
In 2005, plans were made to renovate and reopen the theater. The city invested more than $30 million to redevelop the building, adding in seven additional screens and a six-level garage. The Alameda Theatre reopened May 21, 2008.
Read more information about the rehabilitation project here.
For show times and theater information, see the Alameda Theatre website.