View of statue of Girl With A Scarf during October 2013

Built as a private residence in 1900, today Allerton Park & Retreat Center is a historical treasure owned by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. It was in 1946 that Robert Allerton donated the site to the University. The Mansion and Park are listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and one of the American Institute of Architects’ 150 Great Places in Illinois. The Park was designated a National Natural Landmark in 1970.The park, considered one of the Seven Wonders of Illinois, consists of over 1,500 acres. This area includes the Sangamon River, a 10-acre meadow, and over 14 miles of hiking trails, just to name a few. Additionally, there is also the Georgian-inspired manor house and reflecting pond, several secondary lodging houses, and the formal sculpture gardens. Allerton Music Barn offers concerts in the summer and a fall festival. The mansion is not typically open for tours, however the mansion and gardens can be rented out for weddings and special events. The park provides overnight events and retreats, along with volunteer and education opportunities.

The park is open daily from 8AM to sunset, and closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. The visitors center is open daily from 9AM to 5PM but is unstaffed. It holds maps, displays, restrooms, and beverage vending machines.


View of a Fu Dog statue in the Fu Dog Garden, which features 22 blue porcelain statues during April 2014.



515 Old Timber Road

Monticello, Illinois 61856

[email protected]
Allen Strong
Payment Method
Cash, Credit, Check, UC Smiles