Burch Village was part of the Champaign County Housing Authority until its demolition in 2005. Burch Village was at Bradley Avenue and Fourth Street in Champaign. It provided 67 units of public housing for poor families from 1951 until earlier its demolition, when residents were relocated using federal Section 8 vouchers. Douglass Square public housing, a mixed-income facility, now sits at the site of the former Burch Village Public Housing.
December 29, 1962. A committee of mothers used money raised by the Burch Village Council and staged a Holiday Frolic for the children of Burch Village in the Village Center. Mrs. Ophelia Phillips serves refreshments to Janet Phillips. Mothers looking on are, from left, Mrs. Dorothy Green, Mrs. Marie Hursey and Mrs. Elizabeth Davis. Waiting her turn for a cold drink is Georgette Hursey. Other members of the committee were Mrs. Ruth Blackwell. Mrs. Willie Campbell and Mrs. Emma Gordon.
Source: Carol Lewis Papers