Founded in 1921 by its first president, Clarence M. Burton (of the Burton Historical Collection), the Society has a large number of collections of local history. They have some public exhibitions, and keep many artifacts in a warehouse on the grounds of Historic Fort Wayne, a registered U.S. Historical Place. The warehouse has everything from a steam-powered steamroller to dresses, shoes. The cornerstone of Old City Hall is nearby.