Adolph Goetz's National Brewery was a brewery that operated in Grand Rapids, Michigan from 1886 - 1893.
Adolph Goetz, a former brewmaster at the Kusterer Brewing Company's City Brewery and Tusch Brothers' Cincinnati Brewery, established the National Brewery in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1886. The Brewery was located on the northwest corner of Leonard Street and Broadway Avenue. Like most of the breweries in Grand Rapids at the time, the National primarily brewed a type of lager beer especially favored by the city's growing German-American population. Photographic evidence suggests that the brewery occupied a fairly large two-story building and employed about eight men.
Grand Rapids Brewing Company Consolidation
The National Brewery operated independently until 1893, when it became one of the six breweries which consolidated to form the Grand Rapids Brewing Company. Adolph Goetz became the Brewmaster of the new Grand Rapids Brewing Company.
In 1893, these six Grand Rapids Breweries consolidated to form the Grand Rapids Brewing Company.
- Kusterer Brewing Company's City Brewery
- George Brandt and Company's Union Brewery
- Frey Brothers' Coldbrook Brewery
- Veit and Rathman's Eagle Brewery
- Tusch Brothers' Cincinnati Brewery
- Adolph Goetz's National Brewery
1. Wilhelm W. Seeger. The Braumeisters of Old Grand Rapids. Grand River Valley Review, Volume VIII, Number 1. 1988