Open budget session 1pm (room yellow)
These are some notes on the session help around the topic "Do we want an open budget?"
What we know now
Right now it's a 188 page PDF
Questions and thoughts
- First thing we need to do is understand the cities budget process
Can we standardize the data that departments?
- Can we make it visual
- Is adopting the new ERP going to solve any of these problems
Does the city have a performance budget?
- We want one, and we want it online
- Reactive vs performance based
- Does the city have a program budget?
- Is the budget a department-based budget?
- Salaries are already open (but just a PDF?) [find link]
- What other cities / government agencies do this well?
- Submit an open data request to raleighnc.gov/open?
Information from the City of Raleigh website
- How Your Tax Dollar is Spent
Public Works & Transit
Appropriation To Capital Debt
Solid Waste Services
Community Development Services
Appropriation To Capital Program
- A Guide to the City of Raleigh Budget
- Budget in Brief [PDF]
Why would we want an open budget
- Help average person understand the scale and scope
- People need to empathize with government to appreciate it more
- Help the CACs understand the city budget
- Transparency and open standards
- Where does my money go?
- Wants more available data
- Colin Cpoeland
- Scott Reston
- Patrick Gravinese
- Kevin Flanagan
- Tyler Craft
- Jason Hibbets