Julia Morgan was a famous architect, and California’s first licensed female architecture. She is best known for her work on the Hearst Castle, UC Berkeley’s Hearst Mining Building and Berkeley’s Greek Theatre. In 1918 she was hired by (wealthy racist and eugenicist) Charles Goethe to design and build the house, and by 1924 construction had completed. When Goethe died in 1966 he left the house to Sacramento State. The college used the house for hosting campus programs and events, and made it available to rent for weddings and other events, although due to budget cuts and an overall lack of demand it has been indefinitely put out of operation. In 1982 the house was added to the National Register of Historic Places, and in 1999 it was remodeled and the name was officially changed to the Julia Morgan House.
The magnificent house is located in Elmhurst at 3731 T St.
You can see pictures and read more about the house at CSUS’s website.
In February 2010 the CSUS newspaper The State Hornet reported that maintenance of the unused house costs the University $40,000 a year. Full article.