Inspiration & Passion
Sydney Wiki was inspired by my experiments in hyper local (www.Streetcorner.com.au), crowd sourced content (www.Everymap.com.au) & by meeting the founder of Hudong, China's largest wiki at an X-Media Lab mentoring weekend but my passion for Sydney Wiki is driven by a belief that we need more collective collaborative & open storehouses of community information.
Not that the idea was however, it anyway my own, by rather it's the vision of others that I see real potential in. So I was put in touch with Angela Beesley, who started with Wikipedia in 2003 & co-founded Wikia with Jimmy Wales. Angela now lives on the NSW Central Coast and she directed me to the guys behind Davis Wiki, Philip Neustrom & Graham Freeman who along with many others are the visonaries of the Local Wiki project.
The Road to Sydney Wiki
- Davis Wiki
- Knight Foundation
- Local Wiki trials & tribulations
- Where we are today
- Why location & maps are fundamental to Sydney Wiki
- Advisory Board
What is & isn't Sydney Wiki
It is a
- Collaborative not-for-profit dynamic storehouse of everything we know & is happening in Sydney, from the sublime to the ridiculous, the serious and silly.
- The people's source.
- Not a definative encyclopedia, but an aggregated collaboration of knowledge, shared for the common good.
- About 'place' and 'location' but in the both the specific and broadest sense of the words.
It isn't a
- 'leaks' or whistleblower website
- commerical venture
- agenda driven
- a blog or generalist website
Sydney Wiki needs Sydneysiders
Is this something you'd like to see succeed
Whose purpose you can identify with
And that you'd like to help build?