Philip Bach (b. Karlsruhe, Germany, October 20, 1820; d. November 2, 1895 ) was mayor of Ann Arbor from 1858 to 1859. Born in Germany, he was a dry goods merchant, and ran the Bach & Abel store at the corner of Washington St. and S. Main St from 1867 to 1895. In 1876 he married Anna Botsford Bach. Philip Bach was on the Ann Arbor school board from 1857 to 1891, and Bach Elementary School is named after him.
The Philip Bach building is at the corner of Washington and liberty.
- Bach & Abel, northwest corner, Main and Washington, 1886, Ann Arbor District Library
- Dry Goods at Main and Washington, Ann Arbor Observer, June 1995.
- Political Graveyard
- Bach gravestones, Flickr photo by Phil Dokas