Ypsilanti industrialist Philo Ferrier (1820 - 1912) got his start in Ypsi in 1859, when he came to complete work on the First Presbyterian Church, after his brother John, the initial contractor, died. After finishing that project, he founded Ferrier Machine Works in the Millworks Building on North River Street, a business that lasted until at least 1912.

Soon after his arrival in town, Ferrier was elected Alderman in Ypsilanti's first election after adoption of a City charter, in 1859; later, in 1881, he served on the School Board.

Ypsi's Ferrier Street, which runs one block east to west between Lincoln Street and River Street, is likely named for Philo and his nearby business.


  • Chapman, pg. 1112, 1137, 1167.
  • Mann, Ypsilanti: A History in Pictures, pg. 34.
  • Ypsilanti Gleanings, March 1990, Philo Ferrier. (Article not yet consulted directly.)