a grassroots network of progressive women
- We promote progressive women candidates for political office
- We work to preserve our civil liberties and voting rights
- We support efforts to create peace and justice
- We host free forums, open to the public, to educate each other on issues facing the community
- Promoting social justice is our overarching mission
The Women Progressive Activists was founded in the wake of the scandalous year 2000 "election." Many of Ann Arbor's progressive women came together to speak out.
Out of our shared indignation came a determination to improve the system. Though our members' passions are varied, we unite around our shared wish for fairness and justice.
The WPA's membership is growing fast. We number over 100 women of all ages, backgrounds, and occupations. Several members hold elected or appointed office. Many have run for public office. All are interested in increasing citizen participation in government. We hope you will join us in promoting social justice in our community.
2010-2011 executive committee
- President: Deb Leonard
- Vice President/President Elect: Christine Green
- Treasurer: Mary Shindell
- Election Reform Committee Chair: Jan BenDor