Progressive Student Union was a CSU Chico student organization in the late 20th and early 21st Century. It started originally as the Orange Street Collective. The PSU was a political activist organization. It was officially a non-partisan group that embraced progressive values, including but not limited to "participatory democracy, community empowerment, students' rights, freedom of speech, and social and environmental justice".
The PSU had accomplished many things in its long history:
- election of Tim Bousquet as AS President 1990
- Endorsed and fielded many successful candidates for Associated Students offices
- Held Tent City on various occasions to promote voter turnout, to protest the Iraq War as well as the War on Terror.
- Successfully lobbied to get a Resolution Against War in Iraq onto the AS Elections ballot.
- Worked with Activists Against Apathy to encourage students to vote.
- Hosted, co-ordinated and sponsored the Campus Antiwar Network West Coast Conference, April 2003.
- Held numerous rallies and protests, sometimes working with Peace Works.
Some of the notable members over the years have been:
- Homer Metcalf, Faculty Advisor
- Michael Perelman, Faculty Advisor
- Mark Stemen, Founding Member, Faculty Advisor
- Tim Bousquet, Founding Member
- Richard Elsom, Founding Member
- Mike Fishkin
- Aliune Fame
- Amaera BayLaurel
- Paul DiGirolamo
- Bob Ray
- Brent Bartlett
- Rhonda Pearson
- Sean Kennedy
- Travis Elder
- Jose Diaz
|This entry is a seed, a starting point for writing a full entry. You can help LocalWiki Chico by expanding it! Just click the "Edit" button.|