Please note:The OaklandWiki 2014 Mayoral Election Team is making every effort to keep the information on this page up-to-date and neutral as possible. In the spirit of a wiki, however, this page is fully editable. We encourage sourced/sourceable contributions above as well as respectful comments below.
Courtney Ruby is the current (2014) City Auditor and the author of the Ruby Report. She will be replaced by Brenda Roberts, as Ruby gave up her seat in her unsuccessful bid for Mayor. Ruby was eliminated in the 10th Round.
2014 Mayoral Election
In early May, 2013, Ruby was rumored to be a candidate for Mayor in the 2014 Election.1,6 On May 31st, Ruby said that she will not run for Mayor and will instead run for re-election as Auditor.4
On February 26, 2014, told Matier & Ross that she was indeed going to run for Mayor, saying that she had earlier decided not to run because of her family but now has decided she has to run because of her family, citing the high crime rate.5
In February she officially filed to be a candidate in the Oakland 2014 Mayor Race: http://www2.oaklandnet.com/oakca1/groups/cityclerk/documents/webcontent/oak045770.pdf
- Oakland Tribune (4th- source)
Ruby was elected in November 2006 and reelected in 2011. Ruby is a CPA and Certified Fraud Examiner. Her goals are accountability and transparency in government. She takes a "risk-based audit approach, which identifies and prioritizes the areas of government most vulnerable to fraud, waste and abuse."
Ruby graduated from American University. She lives in East Oakland and has two kids.3
Ruby's official statement on the Oakland Auditor's page:
"I'm proud to be Oakland's elected City Auditor, working for and reporting to the citizens of this incredible City.
As your eyes and ears inside City Hall, it is my job to ask the tough questions, shine a light on City operations and ensure that tax dollars are being spent efficiently and effectively in Oaklanders' best interests. Together, I know we can make Oakland the best it can be.
Committed to serving Oakland with the utmost integrity,"2
On April 2, 2014, Courtney Ruby was named one of the "Most Influential Professionals in Governing Auditing"
Accomplishments as City Auditor
Facebook (appears to be official page for Ruby as auditor)
Twitter (appears to be official Twitter, sporadically updated)
Official Auditor Blog (last updated 2012)
Information provided by the campaign
Courtney Ruby's Bio from campaign website:
WE ALL WANT TO FIX OAKLAND.
COURTNEY RUBY KNOWS WHERE TO START — WITH OUR BROKEN CITY GOVERNMENT.
Courtney Ruby is the only candidate who’s taken on City Hall and gotten results. As Oakland’s City Auditor, Courtney found six dollars in savings for taxpayers for every one dollar she spent on audits. She led the fight for mandatory ethics training, forced the city to refund millions of dollars in overpaid parking tickets, questioned contract awards and exposed bad loans.
Courtney’s top priority is safety – and that will take leaders focused on better policies, not endless politics. As mayor, she will hold City Hall accountable, generating new funds without new taxes through mandatory management audits of every city department, to pay for vital services like hiring 200 more police officers.
And Courtney will use her experience to get Oakland’s budget under control — so we can focus on attracting high-wage jobs, keeping our kids safe and in school and fixing our roads.
Courtney knows accountability should start at the top – that means no raises for top managers without performance tied to results. She will send every large city contract out to bid – with local hiring and living wage requirements – to increase efficiency.
First elected City Auditor in 2006, Courtney turned around a troubled agency and made it a model of accountability, transparency and results. The office was recently honored with a national award for its work and Courtney was named one of the Most Influential Professionals in Government Auditing.
A graduate of American University, a Certified Public Accountant and Certified Fraud Examiner, Courtney has dedicated her life to the service of others and to ensuring that organizations manage their financial resources effectively. Prior to her service as Oakland’s elected City Auditor, Courtney served as vice-chair of the Budget Advisory Committee for the City of Oakland and Board Finance Chair for a local nonprofit dedicated to ending the cycle of homelessness.
Courtney resides in East Oakland with her two boys, ages five and six. Like all parents, she wants them to grow up to be safe and successful young men in our city. They deserve — we all deserve — a government as great as Oakland.
Courtney Ruby knows the problems. She’s fought for solutions. Let’s give her the opportunity to lead that fight where it matters the very most — in the mayor’s office.
Coverage on Ruby
- Williams, Byron. "To Make Any Difference, Oakland Must Solve Unfunded Liability." Inside Bay Area: April 26, 2014
- Office of City Auditor Wins Back to Back Awards." April 2, 2014
- Johnson, Chip. "Auditor Courtney Ruby ready to fight in Oakland mayor's race" San Francisco Chronicle. February 28, 2014
- Zennie Abraham's blog about how Ruby shouldn't have released the Ruby report and how someone should run against her. And his video following up on her run for Mayor of Oakland.
- Zennie Abraham's blog on how Ruby's Oakland Pension Audit is, in his view, "political grandstanding."
- Oakland North Mayoral Candidate Profile. (May 21, 2014.)
- Tavares, Steven. "List Of Possible Challengers To Oakland Mayor Quan Begins To Emerge." East Bay Citizen: May 16, 2013.
- "Oakland City Auditor." http://www.oaklandauditor.com/
- "About Auditor Ruby." http://www.oaklandauditor.com/ruby/bio
- Artz, Matthew. "Citywise: Courtney Ruby won't challenge Jean Quan in Oakland mayor's race." Bay Area News Group: May 31, 2013.
Matier & Ross. "Oakland City Auditor Courtney Ruby enters mayor's race." SFGate.com, Feb 26, 2014.
- Abraham, Zennie "Oakland City Auditor Report Spiked As Ruby Rumors Of Mayoral Run." Zennie62.com, May 17, 2013
- The Institute of Internal Auditors. "The IIA Recognizes Most Influential Professionals in the Public Sector In Launch of American Center for Government Auditing" March 26, 2014.