c.1943 photo
courtesy Chris Treadway

The Examiner Building was built in 1891 as the home of the Oakland Examiner newspaper, 2 the Oakland branch of William Randolph Hearst's San Francisco Examiner. Later it was home to the Hotel Pix and the Pix bar and restaurant.

The address was originally 916 Broadway; that became 830 Broadway after the 1912 renumbering. In 1959, Simon Hardware took over and remodeled the building as part of a major expansion. 3

from 1896 Illustrated Directory1955 - dpoa6.011 1

Links and References

  1. Downtown Property Owners Association Collection Oakland History Room, Oakland Public Library
  2. The "Examiner" Building Oakland Tribune May 5, 1891
  3. Simons to Open Its Big New Store Oakland Tribune October 18, 1959