Kitty Kelly Epstein is a professor at Holy Names University, an activist, the host of "Education Today" on KPFA FM 94.1, and the author of three books, two of them about Oakland.
After spending her childhood in Los Angeles, Dr. Epstein earned a Masters Degree in International Relations at San Francisco State University and a doctorate in Education from the University of California, Berkeley. She received the "Outstanding Dissertation Award" for her research on the underlying reasons why urban youth may leave school without a diploma and the sort of educational environment to which they will return and be successful. She received the Marcus Foster Foundation Outstanding Educator Award for her work as a high school teacher.
In her 2012 book, A Different View of Urban Schools: Civil Rights, Critical Race Theory and Unexplored Realities, she describes successful campaigns in which she participated to create a diverse and representative teaching force, prevent the use of a racially inaccurate social studies textbook, and prevent the takeover of the Oakland Unified School District by the State of California.
She participated in the recruitment of former Congressman Dellums to run for Mayor and after his election, she worked in his office as Education Policy Director. She assisted the Mayor in pressing the State to return the school district to local control, helping the community to start the Teach Tomorrow in Oakland program, and involving 800 people in 41 task forces making policy for the city. She also worked with community organizations to remove barriers so that a larger portion of African-Americans can obtain employment in the construction industry.
In 2013 she received the Scholar Activist Award from the Urban Affairs Association for her work in Oakland.
Links and References
- Education Today on KPFA 94.1 FM
- Epstein, K.K. and Stringer, B. (2020) Changing Academia Forever: Black Student Leaders Analyze the Movement They Led. Myers Education Press
- Epstein, K.K. (2012) A Different View of Urban Schools: Civil Rights, Critical Race Theory and Unexplored Realities (Revised edition). Peter Lang Publishers
- Epstein, K.K. (2012) Organizing to Change a City. Peter Lang Publishers
- Gamboa, C (2013) I Became a Scholar In order to Become a Better Activist Social Science Space
- Kitty Kelly Epstein at Holy Names University