The Little Girls' Christian Association began in 1881 as an auxiliary of the Young Women's Christian Association in Oakland, California. The group was an authorized extension of the work the YWCA was doing with younger girls in the community. Saturday morning meetings were held, and the girls collected clothes for poor families in the city. The girls' group continued in Oakland for about 35 years.
Links & References
- Fifty Years of Association Work Among Young Women, 1866 - 1916 by Elizabeth Wilson
- The Girl Reserve Movement: a Manual for Advisors, Y.W.C.A