St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church, East Oakland (1889) 1

St. Anthony's Church is a Roman Catholic church located on the corner of East 15th Street and 16th Avenue in East Oakland. 

In 1887 Rev. Wm. Gleeson was the rector.  At that time, the church operated two schools: the St. Anthony's School for Boys (East Oakland) — Located on the corner of East Fifteenth Street and Sixteenth Avenue, and taught by the Christian Brothers; and the St. Anthony's School for Girls (East Oakland) — Located on the corner of East Fifteenth Street and Sixteenth Avenue, and taught by the Sisters of Mercy.

The two schools were merged into St. Anthony School in 1914 when the Christian Brothers withdrew and educational instruction for boys and girls was taken up by Sisters of Mercy. A high school was added in 1881 and closed in 1931. Many of the old wooden structures were demolished in 1949 and replaced with more modern buildings in the brutalist style of architecture.

 

St Anthony's Church Today

 

 

 

Additional Links

  1. 1. Oakland Public Library, Oakland History Room and Maps Division
  2. http://stanthony-oakland.org/mission-philosophy-history
  3. http://www.oakdiocese.org/diocese/parish-directory/st.-anthony-parish